Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Readicide – Introduction

I found it interesting in the introduction of Readicide to see the percentages of adult readers.  I guess I really expected the numbers to be higher but then again when you think about how the numbers drop off so drastically from elementary school, then to middle school, and then to high school, I really shouldn't be so surprised. 


I also found it interesting that they mentioned one of the four major contribution factors to readicide is that "schools value the development of test-takers more than they value the development of readers." (p5)  I think this is very true because schools are so worried about making AYP and other national benchmark goals that they forget some of the basic skills (such as reading) that we need to function in society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment